Thursday, October 21, 2004

The Music Of Tarnation

Following are all of the songs you heard in Tarnation. Also listed is the original music composed and recorded by Max Avery Lichtenstein and original score composed and recorded by John Califra.

Low - "Laserbeam"
Iron and Wine - "Naked As We Came"
Glen Campbell - "Wichita Lineman"
Lisa Germano - "Reptile"
Cocteau Twins - "Ice Pulse"
From HAIR - "Frank Mills"
From HAIR - "Walking In Space"
Marianne Faithful - "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan"
HEX - "Diviner" (Steve Kilbey & Donnette Thayer)
Low - "Embrace"
Blue Velvet - "Mysteries of Love"
The Chocolate Watchband - "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue"
The Magnetic Fields - "Strange Powers"
Jean Wells - "After Loving You"
Dolly Parton - "A lil' Ole Pissant Country Place"
The Red House Painters - "Around and Around"
Low - "Back Home Again"
Mavis Staples - "How Many Times"
The Red House Painters - "Around and Around" (end credits)

Original Score: (available here - http://www.tindrum.com/tarnation)

Max Avery Lichtenstein - "Tarnation"
Max Avery Lichtenstein - "Desperation"
Max Avery Lichtenstein - "Recovery"
Max Avery Lichtenstein - "As Fate Would Have It"
Max Avery Lichtenstein - "Depersonalization"
Max Avery Lichtenstein - "Departures"


Included in The Trailer only:

Hopewell - "Safe As Milk"

Thanks to Bob (Post Production Supervisor for "Tarnation") for the list.



Music from the trailer

(originally posted to IMDB by Max Avery Lichtenstein)

There are 3 pieces of music in the trailer...
1st is an outtake from the film's "orchestral" score by the composer John Califra.

The middle piece, named appropriately enough "Tarnation", is one of the film's original instrumental tracks written by me (Max Avery Lichtenstein).

The 3rd and final piece is a song called "Safe As Milk" that I produced with the band Hopewell for their 2001 record "The Curved Glass". You can find more info and downloads on the Tin Drum website http://www.tindrum.com or at http://www.hopewell.tv ... thanks for listening!



***Yes, there was different music included in original cuts of the film as shown at Film Festivals, but because of licensing, some songs could not be cleared for the international release of the film. The list above is what's included in the theatrical release Tarnation.***

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

During the sequence regaurding jonathans hospitalization as a child (due to the marijuana). The most amazing song is playing... Which one is that exactly so I can go and buy the cd it's on?

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Johnatan
I liked Tarnation so much! That I saw it twice the day the day that Ive rented it
(last night)
I just wanted you to know this.
It is so unpretentious, so well made and
moving and honest.
I do wish you lots of success
love
Sigrid (from Caracas, Venezuela)
sigrid@cantv.net

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

impressive film.
It shrinks the heart, authenticate. The music, everything.
many greetings and congratulation.

muchos abrazos desde europa.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan
Your film made me cry and that's tough to do I'm so anti-depressed. I saw the film on a cable station, Sundance, which has an east and west channel. the west being the same program 2 hours later. I had to stay up to see Tarnation twice. I love Marianne Faithful too. Take care of yourself and your Mom.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its such a soulful movie, wonderfully illustrates the human spirit. Thank you for making it!

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan, first of all thank you so much for making a film that is so real that it almost hurts. I loved it so much that I've watched it almost every day for the past week. The music in the film is unbelievable. Especially the song that plays in the part about when you joined "Visions." I just wanted to say thanks, and take care of yourself and your mom. And lastly, you are the most beautiful person I've ever seen in my whole entire life.
Thanks again,
Haley
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After seeing Tarnation on Sundance, I wasted no time in ordering the movie online. I can't put into words how this movie makes me feel. It's in my top ten of all time already. Jonathan, this movie makes me want to sit down and talk with you and be your friend...and give you a big hug. You have a great heart and I wish you all the success in the world.
Eyeball429@hotmail.com

11:38 PM  
Blogger eek said...

The link to HEX is not to the correct band. The HEX that made "Diviner" is a collaboration of Steve Kilbey and Donnette Thayer. I don't believe they have a website. They had two albums -- the first, released in 1989, was self titled; the second, released in 1990, was called Vast Halos. "Diviner" was on the first album.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi jonathan.

I just wanted to let u know, that ur movie really had a great impact on me. Never before did a film touch me, entertain me and capture me more than urs. The fact, that it‘s ur own true story, that u are telling, makes it even more impressing and tragic at the same time.

I just felt the need to tell u that and I really hope u and ur loved ones are doing well. Looking forward to new exciting stories that u will be telling soon.

best wishes from germany,

hon-tai

hon-tai@web.de

6:37 PM  
Blogger mint said...

hi jonathan, i dont now if you read this blog or not, but i need tellyou thanks fo your film. ween you said you feel you mom behaind you eyes i to explode to cry, is too heavy and beaifull and certain sometimes. thanks and cheers from buenos aires, Argentina. mint

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The greatest film I've ever seen in the last 2 years. You are the most beautiful man I've ever seen and you have a deep and pure soul! The music is so perfect!
All the love of the world for you

1:32 PM  
Blogger ddddddd said...

Jonathan, i watch your movie. Im from Argentina, the southest country, so excuse my "way of talk". I just want to say that im in love with your film. Im not going to make a revisation (is it the word?) of it. Just a WOW of biblics dimensions. Te felicito, tu pelicula es una grosada, me encantó. I want to know the name of the song that says "You´re in my dreams..."

11:34 AM  
Blogger ddddddd said...

and the name of the song that say "eyes wide open" too

11:37 AM  
Blogger Aureliano Sanchez said...

Your film is great, and the music is the best that hear in years. I am from Chile, south america country , and here we love your movie. Please visit and coment in my blog http://sinezine.blogspot.com

Thank you very much, you are great , adios amigo.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan,I am Jonathan Meredith.I just watched your movie Tarnation on the sundance channel.I loved it.You are a brilliant filmmaker.Have a great new year.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Catrin said...

I saw the movie last night on TV. With German subtitles which ruined the atmosphere a little. But that movie, these pictures, words... I had goosebumps, my back was cold and half the time I had tears in my eyes... I was so fascinated and shocked at the same time. To be honest, I have lost my words to describe how your movie has made me feel. But I want to thank you. It was an experience I have never had before and I am so glad I turned to that chanek at that time... you have officially delighted my life. Keep it up and please amaze us ull with some more work of yours!
I loved it!

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jonathan:
I you want to congratulate on your movie, i love it!. The way in how you presented your life and your family´s life was frankly touching and of a deep genius also...music amazing!...great, great, great..
I do wish you lots of success
love
Lorena from Valparaiso, Chile
(lorena_monardes@hotmail.com)

pd: sorry about my english

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan! I really like your movie. It makes me feel how you feel! Thanks for do this movie. My best wishes! Kiss from Argentina
Romina (Argentina)

9:42 PM  
Blogger Neele said...

Hi Jonathan,
yesterday I saw Tarnation on TV (arte) and I was shocked that a movie could touche me so much! I love your film, for me it`s the best I´ve ever seen and I can`t express in words how much it encouraged me. I hope that you never stop making films!
Thanks, Neele (from Hamburg)

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Johnathan, my partner and I have talked all night about it. The honesty of it all is so powerful, so human. Keep taking care of yourself and your mother. You won't end up like your mom, not in my opinion! Best
Guy and Glen

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home